Our professional mentorship and practicum program enables students to put into action the knowledge they gained and get direct feedback on client work. It is designed to enable students to pave the way to becoming skilled yoga therapists. Mentorship is also supportive tool to enrich the learning experience and begins once students have completed our Level 1 Foundations in Yoga Therapy Course.
During their time in this program, students will complete the following:
- meet virtually with faculty to review key concepts and understand the requirements of the assignment,
- conduct intake, complete client assessment and develop appropriate yoga therapy treatment plans and deliver treatment plans with clients
- meet virtually with their mentor to review client case work
- write up client case studies
- gain feedback on case studies and client assessments.
As a result, students will gain the ability to:
- Refine their practice of client intake & assessment
- Work with the goals, expectations of client
- Integration of information from intake
- Apply knowledge of addressing client needs through yoga therapy
- Help identify priorities & goals of client
- Apply pacifying, purifying & strengthening strategies for the client
- Apply knowledge to address common disorders
- Combine above knowledge and apply it as a yoga therapy treatment plan
- Deliver practices for individuals
- Provide methods (e.g. video, photo) for the client to actively participate in his/her practice
- Gather feedback and re-assess client needs
There is also an opportunity for group collaboration and sharing to debrief lessons learned. The 280 hours of this 3-year mentorship program includes 122.5 practicum preparation/mentorship/feedback hours and 157.5 practicum delivery hours and follows a format as follows:
- Kick off call to review details and timing of assignment
- Faculty/student webinar to review key concepts/ information
- Refresher and review with quiz on content topic of study
- Selection of 3 clients
- Intake and assessment with each client
- Development and delivery of yoga therapy treatment plan with each client
- Reviewing client work (via phone or Skype) with mentor
- Client follow up
- Development of written client case study
- Presentation of client case studies in group webinar with feedback delivered
Every 3-4 months, students are assigned a new topic based upon content they learned in the Level 1 course. Students must complete 7 topics. Topics include the following:
- Yoga for Cancer
- Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy
- Yoga for Chronic Pain
- Yoga for Mood Management
- Functional Yoga Therapy
- Yoga for Grief
- Yoga of Recovery
- Students may also develop a practicum segment on a topic of their choice
Upcoming Practicum Schedule 2020
- Jan – March 2020: Yoga for Chronic Pain with Neil Pearson (Sign up here).
- Jan – March 2020: Anxiety/Depression/Trauma with Dr. Sue Dilsworth. (Sign up here).
- March – May 2020: Yoga for Grief Relief with Antonio Sausys (Sign up here).
- March – May 2020: Yoga of Recovery with Durga Leela (Sign up here).
- June – Aug 2020: Functional Yoga Therapy with Maria Mendola
- June – Aug 2020: Yoga for Cancer with Laura Kupperman
- Sept – Dec 2020: Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy with Chinnamasta Stiles
- Sept – Dec 2020: Neurological Disorders with Theresa Conroy
Course Fee: $1750. (Paid in 7 installments of $250, over time).